A NEXTGEN LEARNING SPACE DEsigned to ELEVATE YOUR AIRWAY PRACTICE
- Expanded clinical indications
- Design benefits of tube introducers
- Discussion of TIs in the age of VL
This space is organized from rapid review to deep dive to bring you the most essential knowledge first. You can also customize your learning by exploring what’s important to you by using the navigation tool below.
INTRODUCTION – start here
Get some high speed hits of essential knowledge with the selection below and prime yourself for what comes next. ⏩
Tube Introducers vs endotracheal tubes – what’s the difference?
What is the reason tube introducers continue to evolve and expand their role in airway management? It’s because they are designed with a single purpose: to enhance tube delivery. Review this quick comparison of the common design features of tube introducers vs the design features of the modern endotracheal tube and you’ll begin to see their advantage when it comes to intubation success.
When most people think of tube introducers they think of the standard blue bougie, and then only as a difficult airway adjunct, but evidence suggests it has an expanding number of roles in clinical practice. Here are just a few.
design with purpose
Many people ask us, do you even need to learn about tube introducers in the age of VL? I thought they were a relic of the DL age? Well, not so fast. Let’s talk about the design features and intention of the bougie to help explain why they remain a valuable part of your airway practice.
A hit of EBM
Evidence Based Bougie – How do tube introducers stack up when compared to stylets?
Something to consider as you work on your bougie skills. It can be more than just a backup plan📚
@JohnCSakles is one of our favorite FOAMed airway educators. He is in our extended learning network. Take a moment and put him in yours. You’ll be glad you did 📚
GO TO THE SOURCE
Dive into some the most intriguing and practice changing papers published on this topic. We’ve gone to the source and collected what we think are the ones you should definitely know about.
- Effect of Use of a Bougie vs Endotracheal Tube and Stylet on First-Attempt Intubation Success Among Patients With Difficult Airways Undergoing Emergency Intubation: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Brian E Driver 1, Matthew E Prekker 1 2, Lauren R Klein 1, Robert F Reardon 1, James R Miner 1, Erik T Fagerstrom 1, Mitchell R Cleghorn 3, John W McGill 1, Jon B Cole 1 JAMA; 018 Jun 5;319(21):2179-2189. doi: 10.1001/jama.2018.6496.
- Routine Use of a Bougie Improves First-Attempt Intubation Success in the Out-of-Hospital Setting Andrew J. Latimer, MD Brenna Harrington, Catherine R. Counts, PhD, MHA Charles Maynard, PhD Taketo Watase, MD Michael R. Sayre, MD Published:December 17, 2020DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2020.10.016
In person learners: 1. Locate any of the posters below within the installation to continue your training. 2. Snap the QR codes embedded within them to access the learning space. 3. Look for the ✋emoji which indicates integrated hands-on training opportunities. 4. Use the guided audio and videos to enhance your practice. 🎧👇
For remote learners, use the navigation button below to return to the online masterclass landing page. 👩💻👇