A detailed guide for faculty on the learning objectives & goals
The Own the Head of the Bed learning space is designed to get clinicians at all levels to improve their comfort level with all the details of patient care that you are responsible for at the head of the bed position. While this space is most valuable for novice and intermediate learners and is foundational, it is designed to also be a great refresher for more experienced clinicians and also allows them to customize their learning on higher level details like team communication or difficult patients who might need more complex plans. You can customize the learning based on the learner.
- Increase comfort level a head of bed
- Learn best practices for preparing the patient
- Learn best practices for preparing equipment
- Learn best practices for team communication
- The use of a checklist
- Development of an intubation plan
- Understand safe apnea time
- Understand best practices for pre-oxygenation
- Understand indications and best practices for RSI
- Improve familiarity with RSI medications
IMPORTANT! Before the day of the event, we ask that all faculty become familiar with all the content on the Own the Head of the Bed masterclass here. This will just be review for most of you, but we ask that you be familiar with what is on our website and, what learners will be interacting with through the posters so you know how we are currently teaching it online. Please feel free to be yourself and teach what you know. Below is quick explanation of the space and the plan for the day.
- Learners should explore some of the posters and listen to or watch the digital content provided in the space first before just jumping in with faculty.
- There will be stations where learners can just pick up equipment or do things and problem solve on their own.
Expert coaching Component
- Along with the self-directed component there will be the expert faculty coaches (you).
- If learners are lost you can help guide them through the space as they practice
- When they are ready it is time for them to get your expert coaching!!
- We will set up an in situ stretcher with mannequin and all the equipment to simulate a real patient who needs to be intubated in the space.
- Learners can work with you and the coaching team on any or all of the learning objectives. Let them focus on what they need to learn (setting up equipment, patient positioning, pre-ox, steps of RSI)
- Checklists will be available as guides as well
- Short written cases can be used to run through a complete preparation and set up for intubation and then coaches can give feedback and work on their plan until the learner feels that they have it.
Once they are done spending time with you, they are ready for the SIMULATION that is running in parallel with this space is available for them, so they can work together and use all the skills you have helped them learn. You may see learners coming back for a little follow up with you, focusing on areas where they still need practice based on the debrief after the SIM. Learners are encouraged to take as much time as they need and come back as many times as they want to topic.
Finally, please have a great time. This format is meant to be relaxed and friendly and personal. Let learners choose their path, be there as a guide and as a mentor. We are working on fine tuning these spaces and their flow and so feel free to adjust as necessary. Also please let us know during the day if there are problems or you need the support team to work on a specific issue you need corrected to better teach.
We look forward to having you with us and for being an amazing educator. 😊